Pages

05 February, 2010

Identity and Disney pop music

It's almost embarrassing to admit- or think about- how many times I've listened to this song today.

"You are the thunder and I am the lightning/And I love the way you know who you are/and to me it's exciting when you know it's meant to be..."

She's got a good voice, nice range, and could have real promise when she actually grows up. 

She's very Disney.

Something about the song though has caught me from the first couple of beats, half-heard as they played in another room.

Maybe it's the theme? 

The danceable beat?

I avoided thinking about it for the better part of the day. 


In the meantime, "Everything comes naturally when you're with me, Baby..." dance-popped through my head.

Finally, the thought pounced, leaping from behind the thick veil of musical elitism it had been crouching behind.

It's the confidence she sings about.

That's what got its hooks into me.

No comments:

Post a Comment